Smart Savings Rewards FAQ
- What is the Smart Savings Rewards program?
- NYSEG/RG&E’s voluntary demand response program is designed to reward you for reducing your electricity use during periods of high demand for electricity, while helping the environment and reliability of the electricity grid.
- Participants agree to brief, limited events which adjust their temperature during peak electric demand periods from May 1 through September 30 on non-holiday weekdays. You can anticipate at least one event, and a maximum of up to 15 adjustments per summer. Peak demand periods typically occur on hot, humid days.
- Participants will receive a $5 bill credit for each event they fully participate in. NYSEG/RG&E electricity customers who have installed a qualifying connected thermostat controlling their central air conditioning system are eligible. These participants will receive an $45 Amazon e-gift card after being accepted into the program.
- NYSEG/RG&E has partnered with EnergyHub to oversee and implement the Smart Savings Rewards program.
- How does Smart Savings Rewards benefit the community?
- Supports New York state’s energy initiatives.
- Protects our environment by lowering emissions.
- Helps reduce the cost of peak energy in our region.
- I have central air conditioning, how will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible to enroll, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You are a NYSEG/RG&E electricity customer.
- You use your thermostat to control your central air conditioning.
- You have an installed, eligible connected thermostat.
- Which thermostats qualify for Smart Savings Rewards?
Provider Approved Thermostats Alarm.com Radio Thermostat CT30, CT80, CT100; Trane ComfortLink Control; RCS Z-Wave Communicating Thermostat; GoControl Z-wave Thermostat; Alarm.com Smart Thermostat ecobee ecobee3, ecobee3 Lite, ecobee4, ecobee Smart Si, ecobee Smart, ecobee SmartThermostat with voice control Emerson Sensi™ Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, Sensi Touch Wi-Fi Thermostat Honeywell Home Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, 9000 Smart Thermostat, 7-Day Programmable Smart Thermostat, VisionPro 8000 Smart Thermostat, Round Smart Thermostat, T5+ Smart Thermostat, T6 Pro Smart Thermostat, T9 Smart Thermostat, T10 Smart Thermostat Lux LUX/GEO, LUX KONO Nest Nest Learning Thermostat, Nest Thermostat E Radio Thermostat Company of America Filtrete 3M-50, CT30, CT50, CT80 Vivint Radio Thermostat CT100 with Vivint Go!Control Panel
- Where can I find the Terms & Conditions for this program?
You can find the program terms and conditions for all thermostat providers below:
- How do I sign up for Smart Savings Rewards?
If you are a central air conditioning customer, follow these steps:
- Confirm your eligibility for the Smart Savings Rewards with these three questions:
- Are you a NYSEG or RG&E electric customer
- Do you have a central air conditioning system?
- Will you allow NYSEG or RG&E to make brief, limited thermostat adjustments on high energy usage days in the summer?
- If you confirm these three questions, please choose whether you have an internet-connected thermostat to enroll in Smart Savings Rewards or if you would like to purchase an existing thermostat.
- If you have an existing thermostat, please select your thermostat among the eligible models. If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, please choose a model, purchase and install it. Once you have installed and activated, come back to enroll your new thermostat in Smart Savings Rewards.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you’ll follow a series of simple steps to enroll. The applicant’s name must match the name on your NYSEG electricity account or be an authorized party on your NYSEG electricity account.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive an email notification on your eligibility status.
- Confirm your eligibility for the Smart Savings Rewards with these three questions:
- What is my enrollment incentive?
Customers with central air conditioning who have enrolled their eligible, connected thermostat will receive an $45 Amazon e-gift card within four to six weeks of being accepted into the program.
- How do I collect the $5 temperature adjustment participation incentive?
For every temperature adjustment that you fully participate in, you’ll receive a $5 per account bill credit on your electricity account. All bill credits are processed by the end of each month, for the previous month’s temperature adjustments. Depending on a customer’s bill schedule, the bill credit may appear on the 1st or 2nd bill after your participation.
- How do I know if I will be receiving a bill credit?
Current program participants will receive a summary email monthly between June and October detailing any temperature adjustments for the prior month. The email will outline the events you fully participated in and the amount of any bill credits you have earned. Bill credits are typically reflected within one to two bill cycles.
- Where will I find my bill credits for participation in a temperature adjustment?
If you fully participate during a temperature adjustment your bill credit will appear within the “Miscellaneous charges” section of your invoice, as highlighted below. This section may also include other unrelated charges, taxes, or credits that normally appear here such as the Payment & billing charges and taxes shown in the example below.
- How will my temperature be adjusted on my thermostat ?
- At the start of an event, your temperature will be automatically adjusted up to 4 degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than 4 hours, and will occur between 1 and 7 pm on non-holiday weekdays.
- Once the temperature adjustment is over, your temperature will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- In some cases, your temperature might be adjusted down 2 degrees prior to an adjustment event to pre-cool your home or business.
- You can opt out of a temperature adjustment at any time from your mobile device, web browser, or thermostat. For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out of the temperature adjustment.
- You will not receive a $5 bill credit when you adjust your temperature prior to the end of a temperature adjustment or pre-cool.
- How will I know if a temperature event is in progress?
Depending on your thermostat provider, notifications may appear on the thermostat or in your web or mobile application.
- Will participating in Smart Savings Rewards negatively impact my comfort?
Temperature adjustments will only affect the temperature by a few degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. And you can easily opt out of a temperature adjustment at any time, for any reason. Your temperature adjustment participation is voluntary.
- Does opting out of the pre-cool opt me out of the thermostat adjustment event?
For the majority of devices, when you opt out of the pre-cool, you are also opting out of the temperature adjustment. If you own an ecobee device, you must also opt out of the temperature adjustment.
- I replaced my thermostat enrolled in Smart Savings Rewards. Can I still participate?
Yes, you are eligible to participate and receive $5 bill credits for every summer temperature adjustment you fully participate in. Simply enroll your new thermostat in Smart Savings Rewards.
- Enroll your new thermostat at smartsavingsrewards.com if you’ve replaced your thermostat with a different manufacturer/provider’s thermostat.
- Enrollment is automatic if you replace your Nest or Alarm.com/Vivint thermostat with an eligible thermostat from the same provider.
- For all other thermostat replacements, please email email@example.com to enroll in the program.
Please keep in mind enrollment incentives are only available for new program enrollments and not for replacing a new thermostat.
- How do I un-enroll from the Smart Savings Rewards program?
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to end your participation in the Smart Savings Rewards program. Un-enrolling from the program will end your participation for all your enrolled thermostats.
- You will not be eligible for the $5 event participation incentives if you un-enroll from the program.
- What if I have additional questions about the program?
If you have additional questions, you can email email@example.com for support.